Our objective is to document the deaths of African-Americans who have ever lived in any community or county in Iowa. We specialize in archiving funeral home records, cemetery records, funeral programs, and obituaries. We also offer family history researching services. The main focus of this website is African-American but we have not limited ourselves only to it. If we receive any programs or obituaries we will post the information and handle your research requests.
This project is focused on an African-American who was a garbage man as well as a Tuskegee Airman. Everyone has a loving memory of someone and I want that special person to be a living memory for others who may not have had a chance to know them. I am asking for your help in getting the word out to the community about the In Living Memory funeral program collection. I know some of you will not want to part with family funeral programs but may be willing to part with friends or associate’s programs you have kept.
How can you help? 1. Funeral programs or obituaries
- Donate programs you have saved.
- Donate programs your church has saved of its deceased members.
- Provide access to your church’s and your own saved programs, such that I can copy them.
2. Post flyers at your church of my project.
3. Mention my project in church bulletins and to others.
4. Provide and suggest names of senior members of your community I should meet.
5. Provide any information you believe will be of help. As a community, we keep funeral programs on family and friends but once we ourselves die, surviving family members will usually toss funeral programs we have saved. Each day unknowingly we are throwing away our history. I want to preserve part of our Iowa history by documenting African-American deaths and burials from any of Iowa’s ninety-nine counties.
Thank you ,
In Living Memory